Q. What is the Thumbby™ massager made of?
A. The Thumbby™ massager is made of solid silicone, the same material used for many household and personal items. Silicone is non-reactive, meaning it can be used with most massage lotions and oils.
Q. How hard is the Thumbby™ massager?
A. The Thumbby™ massager is approximately the same hardness as a human thumb. In use it is often indistinguishable from a thumb by the person receiving the massage.
Q. How big is the Thumbby™ massager?
A. The Thumbby™ massager is about 3 inches across by 2 inches high, and weighs about 5.5 ounces – small enough to fit in a purse, briefcase, backpack, or carryon.
Q. Is it better to use the Thumbby™ massager dry or with oil?
A. The Thumbby™ massager can be used with or without oil. Each is better for certain types of massage.
- When the Thumbby™ massager is used dry, it grips the skin. This is good for deep pressure/trigger point work, cross-fiber massage, and vibration (shaking the muscle).
- When the Thumbby™ massager is used with oil, it glides over the skin. This is good for effleurage (broad strokes using the slope or shoulder of the massager), petrissage (circling movements using the point of the massager), and muscle stripping (slow heavy pressure along the length of a muscle). When using oil with a Thumbby™ massager, use your other hand to guide it.
Q. I’m a small person with weak arms and hands; my partner is very strong and needs deep pressure. How do I use theThumbby™ massager to give deep massage?
A. Thumbby™ massager is designed to let you use body weight instead of strength to achieve deep pressure. Use this method to support your wrist while using body weight:
- Hold the massager in your non-dominant hand with the point on the knot you want to loosen.
- Make a loose fist with your dominant hand and place your knuckles on the back of the massager, as shown.
- Hold the thumb of the non-dominant hand for stability.
- Keep your arm and wrist straight and lean into it. Your upper body weight will be transferred to the point of the ThumbbyTM massager.
Q. I have back and shoulder pain, and no one to massage me. Can the Thumbby™ massage tool help me?
A. Yes. The Thumbby™ massager sticks to smooth surfaces, so you can stick it onto your refrigerator (for example) and be able to press the sore places into it. You can also place the massager inside the back of a chair and lean on it. And if you want deeper pressure, you can lie on a Thumbby™ massager on a bed, a futon, or the floor.